My reflection blog this week
is reflecting on Ken Blanchard’s article “Situational
Leadership: Adapt your style to their development level (Blanchard, 2008) . Blanchard
includes a leader’s directive and supportive behaviors as the foundation of
situational leadership. In this blog, I will reflect on my roles as a parent
and a leader within my organization.
Directive and
Supportive Behavior
Directive behavior is
engagement that is considered “one-way communication.” This type of behavior includes
telling a person “what, when, where to do something” According to Blanchard
there are three words to describe directive behavior “structure, control, and
supervise.” (Blanchard, 2008)
Supportive behavior is an
engagement that is “two-way” communication. This type of behavior includes “listening,
support, encouragement, interaction and is involves decision-making”. According
to Blanchard there are three words to scribe supportive behavior “praise,
listen, and facilitate.” (Blanchard, 2008)
Parenting
As a parent of four grown
daughters, I have been directive and supportive, depending on their age or
situation. In the last 25 years as a parent, the road to today has been roller
coaster of challenges, disappointments, and accomplishments. When the girls
were very young and could not communicate verbally and efficiently, the communication
was very directive in nature. This type of behavior was consistent throughout
their life, but when they started to make decisions, the behavior became a mix
mode of directive and supportive.
One of our daughters was very
challenging as a teenager, including constant rebellion and defiance to any
direction given to her. I wanted to control the behavior to keep her from
making decisions that would lead to any type of criminal activity. I kept her
from her friends, monitored her every move including online internet tracking, and
kept a tight curfew. I could not trust her to make good decisions and keep her
from harming her reputation or the families. The directive behavior from us as
parents, made the situation worse. I
quickly seen we were losing control of our child and she was not listening to
anything we had to say.
To be supportive, I enrolled
the family into counseling to gain an independent analysis and get help. I
removed myself from the communication with advise of the professional. I met
with the professional after she met with my daughter. The feedback was that the
parents did not listen to her point of view and gave up on listening to us
because it didn’t matter as it was not our way. With the help of the
professional, my daughter created her own corrective action plan to her
behavior. My role in the plan became coaching and support. Our counseling as a family
took about a year, but most importantly our relationship improved. As a parent,
I had to learn that she can make good decisions and I didn’t need to be so
directive on every aspect of her life. One step I took was to meet with my
daughter once a week for a one-on-one conversation. I took the approach to
listen. I also praised her on good decisions, and made recommendations in areas
that needed additional coaching.
As grown adults, our girls
are building new lives on their own. At this stage of their life, my husband
and I are doing more coaching and supporting, providing less direction. If they
have problems we delegate the decision making to them and provide solutions, if
they ask for it. I do find it refreshing to see their decisions are aligned similar
to something we have done if we were in the same situation. There is not a
handbook on parenting and we have made mistakes. As your kids mature to different
phases of their lives, parent’s behavior with their children is very
situational. We tend to listen and praise more.
A leader
My team is comprised of
individuals whose tasks include contracting, estimating, financial planning,
and scheduling. I am the only scheduler on the team of fifty people. As a
leader within this team I use all four styles of directing, coaching,
supporting and delegating, based on the situation.
As a scheduler, I design
and manage a major aircraft development modification schedule. In order to
design an effective schedule, I have to work with engineers, who are subject matter
experts. The engineers are not experts
in using the schedule tools, understanding the metrics, or how to fix the tools
when there are anomalies. Anomalies arise when there is a disconnect in the
schedule and aligned costs. I use my coaching behavior by providing directions
on how the tools work, how to fix metrics, and fix anomalies. The current
project is the first to utilize a set of new electronic tool sets. I have spent
the last year explaining and coaching this team to understand the tools.
An example of the team’s
confidence occurred last week when I was discussing to the team of a new major
project going on contract that will require the engineers to design a schedule.
The engineers began asking questions on how to baseline the schedule, but would
answer their own question before the stopped the question. It was like a proud
mom moment, as I can see the maturity in their confidence and they were
motivated to begin the next project. Another example of effective coaching is
when the same engineers will not talk to our cost individual, because she is appearing
to have an attitude and is rude when giving directions. The engineers will ask
me for an answer prior to asking the cost team. They know I will listen and
help facilitate an answer to help them with a problem. I do not have to use
delegation within this team due to the high level of skill and responsibility
of each team, people own their own work.
As president of the
leadership organization, I am learning to be directive and supportive. A simple
situation occurred a couple weeks ago where the deputy to the membership Vice
President (VP), who wanted to question my direction of costs. This person was the VP of membership last year
and should have been aware of how costs are distributed and what they are used
for. I directed the membership team to order some membership gifts to be given
out at the upcoming national conference for the National Management Association
(NMA). I sent an email request to the VP to approve the costs under the
membership budget. The deputy sent me this long email about how membership
gifts have never been funded under the membership budget. I had to take a deep
breath before I responded, as the response had to be correct. In my email
response I directed that all membership funded events, including merchandise
would be funded via the membership budget. If the membership team needed to
review their budget and provide a new spending plan based on the new direction,
then take the necessary steps to do so.
In leadership positions such as president there are times I have to be
very directive, depending on the situation. I am accountable for a large budget
that is funded by corporate funds and membership dues. I took this opportunity
to another level by coaching the new VP about the rules of his position, and
that any approvals needed to come from him and not his deputy,
keeping accountability aligned to the right position. He agreed and thanked me
for being there to clarify the rules and support his position.
Conclusion
Blanchard defines that “you
may use one leadership style for the team, but a different style when dealing
one-on-one, as individuals are at different levels of development. Shifting
back and forth makes this situational leadership” (Blanchard, 2008) As a parent, situations are different throughout
our children’s lives, requiring a shift in directive to supporting behavior, as
needed. My team is filled with very
skilled individuals, where I use a completely different leadership style in our
day to day interactions. The team is confident and motivated to do their job,
where I find supportive and coaching as the prime element to my success on the
team. As the president, I am learning the value of delegation due to the skill
levels on the team. However, not everyone is top notch and I am selective on
which behavior to use, depending on the situation and perform of the
individuals. I am only two months into this role and I am working harder at
coaching and being supportive, by making sure I am available.
References:
Blanchard, K. (2008, May). Situational Leadership:
Adapt your style to their development level. ProQuest Central, 25(5),
19.
No comments:
Post a Comment